[Qgis-psc] Gold sponsor management

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Mon Dec 10 00:36:44 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
>> There was a key features section. It contained such "show-stopping"
>> feature as "identify" and "select" ... boring!
>> If you can come up with a more interesting list, I'll be happy to add it.
>
> I think we should give the features that would interest a prospective user
> coming from another GIS environment:
>
> * Open all common vector and raster formats
> * Edit vector data using advanced digitising functionality
> * Support for enterprise geospatial databases including PostGIS, MS SQL
> Server, SQL Anywhere (Oracle support is planned)
> * Sophisticated symbology system that allows you to do great looking
> cartography
> * Generate print ready maps using QGIS composer
> * OGC web services support including WFS, WMS, TMS, (WCS coming in QGIS
> 2.0), WPS (via a plugin)
> * Plugin system with an online repository containing hundreds of plugins and
> a built in browser that makes it easy to fetch and install plugins
> * Huge collection of analytical tools GRASS, SEXTANTE and other plugins
> * Runs on all common platforms: Windows, OSX, Linux and Android
> * Python programming interface
> * QGIS Server allows you to host your projects on line and publish them as
> WMS, WFS

Thanks Tim! Good points. It summarizes most of the topics currently
listed under "things you can do with QGIS", "import and export data",
"QGIS for developers" and "multi platform". I'll cross-check and
remove duplicates. That should give us some more free space to put
more pictures. Should we put a group picture from dev meeting? Is
there one from Lisboa?

What do you think about a list of professional institutions using
QGIS? It could be helpful to make to point that QGIS is used for
serious work. But then how to pick them ...
Maybe the sponsors list is good enough.

Best wishes,
Anita