[Qgis-psc] Gold sponsor management

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Dec 10 03:03:22 PST 2012

Hi

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at>
> wrote:
> >> There was a key features section. It contained such "show-stopping"
> >> feature as "identify" and "select" ... boring!
> >> If you can come up with a more interesting list, I'll be happy to add
> it.
> >
> > I think we should give the features that would interest a prospective
> user
> > coming from another GIS environment:
> >
> > * Open all common vector and raster formats
> > * Edit vector data using advanced digitising functionality
> > * Support for enterprise geospatial databases including PostGIS, MS SQL
> > Server, SQL Anywhere (Oracle support is planned)
> > * Sophisticated symbology system that allows you to do great looking
> > cartography
> > * Generate print ready maps using QGIS composer
> > * OGC web services support including WFS, WMS, TMS, (WCS coming in QGIS
> > 2.0), WPS (via a plugin)
> > * Plugin system with an online repository containing hundreds of plugins
> and
> > a built in browser that makes it easy to fetch and install plugins
> > * Huge collection of analytical tools GRASS, SEXTANTE and other plugins
> > * Runs on all common platforms: Windows, OSX, Linux and Android
> > * Python programming interface
> > * QGIS Server allows you to host your projects on line and publish them
> as
> > WMS, WFS
>
> Thanks Tim! Good points. It summarizes most of the topics currently
> listed under "things you can do with QGIS", "import and export data",
> "QGIS for developers" and "multi platform". I'll cross-check and
> remove duplicates. That should give us some more free space to put
> more pictures. Should we put a group picture from dev meeting? Is
> there one from Lisboa?

Yes I think I have one - Ill try to dig it up tonight.

> What do you think about a list of professional institutions using
> QGIS? It could be helpful to make to point that QGIS is used for
> serious work. But then how to pick them ...

I think this would be areally great idea. Perhaps put out a call on the
users list...? Off the top of my head here are some we could add (it would
be nice to have  good geographical spread):

* Vorarlberg
* Solothurn
* AUSAID
* Worldbank
* AAS
* CPUT

Would be nice to get a few 'soundbites' e.g.

'QGIS saved us from nuclear destruction and helped the fluffy penguins
through another harsh winter' - John Doe

Maybe the sponsors list is good enough.

> Best wishes,
> Anita

 * QGIS programming services