[Qgis-psc] Releasing 2.0

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:05:37 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>> Il 19/12/2012 16:54, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>>
>>> From my side I think that we either need to remove blockers from the
>>> list or wait, its as simple as that. The former option seems more
>>> logical to me. We were hoping for an end December feature freeze, but
>>> I suggest we push that out to end Jan and then just roll what we have
>>> into a 2.0 release - there are already so many great new things in
>>> master it will more than warrant a 2.0 designation.
>>
>> +1
>> thanks.
>>

> Are others agreed on this approach too?

I would be happier to have the feature freeze sometime in spring (March-April).

I'm nearly at the end of the great vector API refactoring - recently I
have pushed new_vector_api branch to the github repository (I will
write about the changes soon to the dev list), I think that in few
weeks it should be ready for the merge to master. The introduction of
threading may appear in few weeks after that if everything goes well.
Therefore if we postpone feature freeze, there is a good chance for
threading to appear in 2.0 with all its goodness.

Anyway it would be good to revise the blockers for 2.0. I think the
priority is mainly to get rid of old stuff (old symbology, old
labeling). New features that do not necessarily need to break API
(e.g. "Universal usage of expression builder") can be easily removed
from the list of blockers.

Martin