[Qgis-psc] Releasing 2.0

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Dec 19 09:22:32 PST 2012

Hi

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> Hi

>>> +1
>>> thanks.
>>>

>> Are others agreed on this approach too?
>
> I would be happier to have the feature freeze sometime in spring (March-April).
>
> I'm nearly at the end of the great vector API refactoring - recently I
> have pushed new_vector_api branch to the github repository (I will
> write about the changes soon to the dev list), I think that in few
> weeks it should be ready for the merge to master. The introduction of
> threading may appear in few weeks after that if everything goes well.
> Therefore if we postpone feature freeze, there is a good chance for
> threading to appear in 2.0 with all its goodness.

Ok that sounds reasonable.

> Anyway it would be good to revise the blockers for 2.0. I think the
> priority is mainly to get rid of old stuff (old symbology, old
> labeling). New features that do not necessarily need to break API
> (e.g. "Universal usage of expression builder") can be easily removed
> from the list of blockers.

Agreed - so we basically prune off things from the blockers list where
we can and add the vector API reshuffle to the 'this is really really
a blocker' list.

As far as leaving 1.8 out there longer I am happy to do that as it is
quite a good release as far as our user feedback goes. Paolo obviously
would like something 'fresher' and general opinion as we know always
varies from the 'keep it around ' to 'where is the new stuff?'.... In
this case I think our hands are tied since we cannot easily make an
intermediate release.

> Martin

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services