[Qgis-psc] RFC for Data Frames

Benedict Holland benedict.m.holland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:04:40 PST 2013

Hi All,

I don't know if I can actually call this project data frames as I don't
know if that is TMed by ESRI but regardless the concept is the same. The
RFC is located here:

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Data_Frames

This would be a substantial change to the current architecture of
QgsProjects and the relationship between QgsProjects and QgsMapLayers. I
have been a professional developer for about 6 years or so and have worked
on projects much larger than this but not in c++ for quite some time. I do
though use best practices including unit tests and documentation as part of
a standard development procedure and I applaud your requirements that these
be included in this feature. While I do expect this will change
the architecture I do not expect much will break unless previous releases
cannot load a project file from a future release but honestly, there is
little I or anyone else can do about that now except tell people to
upgrade. If there isn't currently a way to handle future releases then I
will also create a method for doing that and file it under the same RFC
linked above.

Let me know what you can think. I am eager to get working on this as it
would make life substantialy easier for me in the direct future.
~Ben Holland