[Qgis-psc] RFC for Data Frames

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Wed Jan 9 08:15:30 PST 2013

Hi Benedict

It is a good direction to go towards multiple views / dataframes. This
is a frequent feature-wish and it is good to know someone is working on it.

The RFC is centered around data frames as layer collections, but I think
it would involve more than just QgsProject and QgsMapLayer. E.g. every
frame could have it's own canvas / layer set / output crs (maybe even
legend, overview map). Therefore, the term data frame may need to be
changed.

Once you are working on QgsProject, don't forget that layers and whole
groups can be embedded from other projects / frames.

Regards,
Marco

On 09.01.2013 01:04, Benedict Holland wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I don't know if I can actually call this project data frames as I
> don't know if that is TMed by ESRI but regardless the concept is the
> same. The RFC is located here:
>
> http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Data_Frames
>
> This would be a substantial change to the current architecture of
> QgsProjects and the relationship between QgsProjects and QgsMapLayers.
> I have been a professional developer for about 6 years or so and have
> worked on projects much larger than this but not in c++ for quite some
> time. I do though use best practices including unit tests and
> documentation as part of a standard development procedure and I
> applaud your requirements that these be included in this feature.
> While I do expect this will change the architecture I do not expect
> much will break unless previous releases cannot load a project file
> from a future release but honestly, there is little I or anyone else
> can do about that now except tell people to upgrade. If there isn't
> currently a way to handle future releases then I will also create a
> method for doing that and file it under the same RFC linked above.
>
> Let me know what you can think. I am eager to get working on this as
> it would make life substantialy easier for me in the direct future.
> ~Ben Holland

Dr. Marco Hugentobler