[Qgis-psc] RFC for Data Frames

Benedict Holland benedict.m.holland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:47:01 PST 2013

Hi all,

So this then asks a fairly fundamental question: what exactly would I be
developing? The data frame could handle rendering but I suppose that it
would just be a question of if want the QgsProject to handle it or push it
down a level. I like the idea of data frames handling it the more I think
about it however. This would actually closely mimic what the QgsProject
does currently. If we go down this route, would it be fair to call it a
subproject ie QgsSubproject? I think that this would fully encapsulate the
idea that I am creating a way to generate projects which would have
multiple layers, link to different subprojects, have a canvas, legend,
display properties, interactions with the Composer, etc. I like this name
also because it has a direct link to QgsProject in that a QgsProject is
made up of QgsSubproject objects. This is a logical grouping which makes
more sense than data frames.

The huge downside to this is that a change like this could break a lot more
code than a smaller change like just having the data frame be a simple
collection of layers. I would be impacting quite a lot of code with these
changes. I am not familiar enough with how a canvas is actually displayed
yet or how the composer displays objects to know if my changes would force
a lot of changes. I don't particularly want to be rewriting most of QgsCore
as a first project, alone.

Also a huge problem that I see with this project is that I don't have a
good way of coding in the way that is specified in the CODING doc where I
would have something like load() loadNew() because I
am fundamentally changing what entire classes do and how they relate to
each other. If no one else is working in this area then I can basically do
what needs to be done but merging code when object relationships change is
very difficult and I have not seen a great way to manage that process. If
there are no complaints then I will edit the RFC to reflect the
QgsSubproject principal and send out an updated RFC to the list serve.

Thanks,
~Ben