[Qgis-psc] Bringing fresh blood

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jan 22 08:11:17 PST 2013

Hi all.
IMHO, one of the most pleasant trends in QGIS is the fast growing number
of contributors, e.g.
http://www.ohloh.net/p/3663/contributors/summary
In parallel, our user base is incresing even faster, and so, I guess,
the number of potential financial contributors.
Better feed up this trend. My suggestion is to stimulate prospective
contributors to:

* choose a task, with priority with those necessary for a smooth release
of qgis 2.0 - all the blockers on the bugtracker, plus:
   * add a bugtracker for all the plugins that miss it
   * update to the new API the plugins that are not working
   * migrate the plugin from the old to the new repo
   * Sextante bugfixing, and especially setting up a full test suite for it
   * general interface cleanup
   * symbology migration to the new one
   * labelling migration to the new one
   * migrating to the new web site (stop joomla, go to rts)

* make a proposal for the solution of the chosen task, and get a general
acceptance from the team
* make an estimate for the task
* then we can start a BidForFix, and if successful the new dev can start
working on it.

How do you feel about it?
All the best.

--