[Qgis-psc] Bringing fresh blood

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Jan 26 11:43:34 PST 2013

Hi Martin,

Il 26/01/2013 20:21, Martin Dobias ha scritto:

> I think it is not yet the right time to start updating plugins to new
> API: for example old symbology and old labeling still have not been
> removed. Only after we freeze API for v2.0 it makes sense to start
> updating them.
See it from an user point of view: plugins in old repos are effectively
unavailable for most users. Waiting months to upload them will cause
serious problems.

> Also, I still have some reservations to bulk migration of plugins to
> new repository. If the original author has not done the migration yet,
> the plugin is most likely not maintained anymore. By migrating a
> plugin to new repository, the person who does that will be
> automatically considered as a new maintainer of such plugin because it
> is the only person with the rights to push new versions. I'm not sure
> if that's a good approach especially if the migration would not be
> driven by a commitment to continue maintenance.

Agreed; if users have their useful-but-not-working plugin available in
the repo, it will be much easier to find resources to support a dev
(possibly the uploader) to keep on maintaining it. Please note that this
applies to several part of core QGIS code as well: not maintained, but
still available to all.

Anyway, we can choose a different task, what I think is important is
start an initiative to help people getting into qgis coding, and letting
people who want to contribute for specific task starting to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu