[Qgis-psc] Vote: QEP #7 - Composer to Layout rename

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:58:43 PST 2014

On 16 November 2014 09:41, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 November 2014 07:27, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi

>> > From my side I guess I'd prefer not to have anything that results in us having side by side implementations and more V2 classes - I think it makes it very confusing to use the API. Also with regard to the proposed name changes, I am OK with them in concept but I think it would be better done in QGIS 3.0 to minimise churn for documentation and training material authors out there.
>> >
>> > So my apologies but for a 2.x release I think I am -1 on the proposed changes
>> >
>> > If you were to amend the proposal to state that changes would be effective of the 3.0 release it would be +1 from me.
>> >

>> Ok - done. I've updated the implementation section to explicitly state
>> that the rename will occur for 3.0.
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback!
>

> Thanks Nyall and please don't mistake my comments as lack of enthusiasm for the work you are doing - I love how composer (*ahem* layouts :-P) is coming on!

I've just submitted an early draft of a QEP which covers the technical
rationale and proposed rebuild of composer. See
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/pull/11

So, to clarify:

- If neither QEP passes - nothing happens

- If JUST the rename proposal (#7, the QEP currently raised for
voting) passes, than the rename will be done for 3.0

- If JUST the rebuild proposal passes, but NOT the rename, then new
classes will be named "QgsCompositionV2". Composer will still be
composer, just with a different backend and API.

- If BOTH proposals pass then the rename to layout will be made when
the rebuild lands (likely 3.0, but possibly could be introduced for
2.8 in parallel with compositions. We can discuss this when the code
is closer to merge).

Hope that helps,

Nyall