[Qgis-psc] signing and downloads of QGIS Mac OS X installer

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Oct 7 10:23:44 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
wrote:

> We just talked about this on the PSC meeting about this.
>
> Our stand now:
>
> - Anita will contact/speak the OSGeo board and see if an OSGeo.org cert
> is possible (to us, an Apple one seems cheapest, and easiest
> maintainable. We do not see a need for more general certificates yet
> (debian is already signed with gpg))
>
> - if possible PSC would prefer one full signed stable installer,
> eventually next to the modular one (@William is that possible at all?).
> This to make an easy QGIS install for non tech users.
> So ideally all (both all in one installers and the osgeo modules) would
> be signed with the osgeo cert then.

At Boundless, we offer a bundled, signed Mac QGIS.app drag/drop installer
with GRASS6 embedded, though its minimum system requirement is Mac OS X
10.9.

I spoke with my employers at Boundless and they have offered to *donate*
the use of their high-end Mac build server to produce QGIS Project
nightlies, as well as fully bundled QGIS Project applications for standard
and LTR releases (with all major Processing lib support). Since they are
also releasing their own branded builds of the same releases to their
customers, I will essentially be paid to work on the community releases, as
well as the nightlies.

*All added packaging functionality will be open source and contributed back
to the QGIS Project*. I believe we can also offer access to the Jenkins
instance on the build server to the PSC. All unit tests will be run and
sent to QGIS's CDash. They don't necessarily want to host the downloads of
the finished build artifacts, so uploading those to an OSGeo or QGIS
download server is ideal.

*Please let me know if the QGIS PSC is OK with Boundless providing these
packages.* If OK, then I can work on getting this ready for the 2.12
release and move the nightly builds to their server. They would like some
recognition for doing the donated packaging. I suggested that the DMG
installer window could have something like "Packaged by Boundless for the
QGIS Project" as part of a background image, and a note and link in the
README. Beyond those small acknowledgements, the applications themselves
would have *absolutely no branding*. Boundless wants to support FOSS4G
projects and this is one way they can help.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

QGIS Support/Development | Boundless <http://boundlessgeo.com/>
lshaffer at boundlessgeo.com
@boundlessgeo <http://twitter.com/boundlessgeo/>

- At least these full nightly and stable full packages should be