[Qgis-psc] [Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Oct 13 23:10:24 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Il 14/10/2015 01:47, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> - decide on the timeline for LTR releases (1/2 years? overlapping LTR releases?)
> - and finally.... make a decision about the move to Qt5/Python
> 3.0/QGIS 3.0 and stop putting this difficult choice off!

Regarding this, I'm more worried about the human side of it then the
tech one. Convincing *hundreds* of plugin devs to upgrade their plugin
is a huge task, and if we fail to upgrade many of them, users will stick
to older QGIS versions, thereby effectively forking the project. I have
seen this in other projects, and the consequences are quite negative.
I think we should:
* start now warning plugin devs to prepare for the transition
* provide guidance and, if feasible, tools to smooth out the upgrade.
I'd be in favour of setting aside some resources for this.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu