[Qgis-psc] signing and downloads of QGIS Mac OS X installer

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Oct 14 06:35:46 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 07-10-15 19:23, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> >
> > *Please let me know if the QGIS PSC is OK with Boundless providing these
> > packages.* If OK, then I can work on getting this ready for the 2.12
> > release and move the nightly builds to their server. They would like
> > some recognition for doing the donated packaging. I suggested that the
> > DMG installer window could have something like "Packaged by Boundless
> > for the QGIS Project" as part of a background image, and a note and link
> > in the README. Beyond those small acknowledgements, the applications
> > themselves would have *absolutely no branding*. Boundless wants to
> > support FOSS4G projects and this is one way they can help.
>
> Hi Larry,
>
> Sorry for not coming back earlier, I do not want to lose momentum, but
> time...
>
> Your plans sound very cool, I brought it to the PSC and everybody (off
> course) likes the offer very much. But we question the idea of the kind
> of 'packaged by'-message IN the installer: we do not want that in the
> installer itself.
>
> We understand it, but would ask if the acknowledgement can be done in a
> more neutral way: eg: on the website a line below every installer
> telling that the dmg package is provided by xxx, or an entry in the
> about box.
>
> Can you please ask if that is negotiable and let us know if the offer is
> still valid then?

It is certainly negotiable. They said "sure!" to having the website line
under the download link (and no background image notification), but would
like to know if "Provided by Boundless" can also have a link to
http://boundlessgeo.com, and whether a small logo can be added.

For situations where the DMG installer is distributed without users going
to the download page, a simple acknowledgement line at the end of the
README inside the DMG would work, or something in the About dialog (though
I am unsure where in that dialog would be appropriate). Regarding the
latter, I would prefer not to touch any of the source tree during
compilation, only QGIS.app bundle items or DMG contents.

The README is necessary since it explains how to use the .app bundle for
developing plugins and should contain info on licensing, source code
download, etc.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography