[Qgis-psc] Take the QGIS user survey

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Thu Oct 15 06:27:01 PDT 2015

First off, thanks for the survey, this is really helpful (especially
seeing the results topple out right away, every major OSGeo project
should be doing this from time to time).

Regarding the results we obviously have to be careful - someone claiming
60k user in their org may also just be typing in some numbers for the
fun of it. On the other hand, if there really is such an organization,
then yes, should you definitely approach them and ask to contribute
because it pays in just no time.

Same for the relevance of the LTR related questions. You are right with
asking who really knows what it is. My guess is that 90% if not more of
John Doe users have no idea and also don't really care. Given that most
of the people we reach with this survey in such a short time are
commonly Twitter users AND GIS folks AND actually chose to use QGIS,
instead of just having it deployed on their desktop by some admin team.
If the survey reaches plenty such GIS admins then they will obviously
use they latest nightly build just to be on top of things. But they will
also depend on the LTR to deploy it for the Desktop GIS users of their
department just to make sure they have a stable version that gets them
their job done.

Or their blabla departments tell them to do it:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/160347/qgis-ltr-vs-other-release

In that case it is also a marketing tool. Use it. If you search the QGIS
pages now the only mention of "Long Term Release" is on "QGIS
Installers" but it is not explained. On the "Release schedule" page it
only mentions "LTR".

Have fun,
Arnulf

- -e7PHWUOwrGo9OH2Yog/viewanalytics>https://docs.google.com/a/qgis.org/for