[Qgis-psc] Moving the issue queue to github

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Apr 5 03:28:01 PDT 2016

HI

> On 05 Apr 2016, at 16:04, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>

> On 04/05/2016 09:26 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>
>> OSGeo becoming an OpenID provider would be the other side
>> of intervention.
>
> That wouldn't solve the "tickets and code on one platform" issue and
> wouldn't solve the UX issue.
>
> For reference, that's what the signup form looks like:
> https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/ldap_create_user.py
>
> All the SSL components are quite old (SHA-1 signature, TLS 1.0, obsolete
> cipher suite).
>
> To be honest, the current infrastructure also hasn't struck me as
> exceptionally reliable and up-to-date (that's probably biased by the
> regular hub.q.o outages also).
>
> My main requirements for a platform are
>
> * Offer a nice UX (John Doe has a good feeling when signing up)
> * Be stable
> * Receive regular security patches
> * Integrated issue, code, pull request (with CI) management
>
> Github would offer all that with a minimum effort to get there. I don't
> think anybody will be scared of signing up.

Yeah I couldn’t agree more - GitHub is a great platform and being too dogmatic about using OSGEO infrastructure does not do any favours for our users. Could I suggest that we rather move the discussion towards the practical elements of getting issues migrated and accept the choice to use GitHub as our platform for code, issues and authentication backend?

> Matthias

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza