[Qgis-psc] Moving the issue queue to github

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Apr 7 04:45:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 12:48:39PM +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> But would make gh make finding relevant tickets easier?
> So far I don't think it would.

Maybe it would help to write a list of tipical queries to be run
to find tickets. My attempt (non complete list, for obvious reasons):

  - All unassigned blocker bugs in branch 2.8
  - All unassigned crasher bugs in branch 2.14
  - All bugs related to postgis provider
  - All bugs targetted at being fixed in 2.14
  - All feature requests with patch attached

So far they all seem easy to find with a label-based approach.
These might be harder (or maybe impossible, I don't know):

  - Tickets with no indication of being bug or feature (to be triaged)
  - Bugs not assigned to anybody
  - Bugs with severity >= important

I'd also argue that a fast response usually helps in finding relevant
tickets, as well as automatic cross-reference between them. You know
I'd rather see free software developers help improving availability of
free software tools rather than just using proprietary services, but
cannot pretend not to see the advantages of a centralized place where
upstream bugs automatically get cross-referenced (even among projects).

If only OSGeo itself could help with that cross-referencing, and using
free software, I'd be happy again. Maybe it could just take some trac
plugin but of course qgis would never move back to trac, even if it
was improved. Or maybe it could be something more modern, like what
I'm experimenting with https://tuscia.pallamondo.net (login with OSGeo
credentials). But for sure the ideal federated cross-referencing (ping
backs and such) are far from ready at the moment.

--strk;