[Qgis-psc] Draft blog article about enterprises

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Apr 21 03:48:50 PDT 2016

Hi Matthias,

On Thu, 21. Apr 2016 at 12:25:54 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> On 04/21/2016 11:27 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> > Looks like the digest ate some formatting.  Actually Matthias was just
> > commenting on Tim's and Richard's initiative.

> Actually said Matthias asked Tim and the PSC to discuss such an initiative.

Oh, sorry.  I missed that.  I thought that was all recycled from an earlier
discussion about other enterprises marketing separate QGIS distributions that
led to registering the trademark and setup rules how to use it.  I think at
least some of it is already covered there.

> > It's not really wrong - but it easy to get the wrong impression that the
> > community is just contributing and someone else has the lead - which would
> > be a boundless overstatement.

> I don't want to start a big discussion about this here. But to get things
> right, at least parts of the initiative were litterally wrong.  E.g. the
> statement:

> "Boundless releases QGIS 2.14.1"
> https://twitter.com/boundlessgeo/status/722525205952925696

Well, I'd give that the benefit of the doubt - it's just the headline of the
message pointing to the PR.  And the PR doesn't say that they released QGIS -
but it doesn't try to avoid that anything the community did - which is probably
the majority of the mentioned stuff - is mistaken for their work.

> To my knowledge Jürgen is our release manager.

That's at least what I filled into the registration form on their site to get
to the download to actually verify how different their installer actually is.

I didn't get a link yet - maybe I should have signed up for trial support ;)

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode