[Qgis-psc] project feedback to OSGeo

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Sun Feb 14 08:08:16 PST 2016

Hi

> On 14 Feb 2016, at 17:39, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> Thanks Tim!
>
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at qgis.org <mailto:tim at qgis.org>> wrote:
> Another useful thing they could do is develop a standard promotional pack e.g. a double sided brochure from each OSGEO project and copies of the OSGEO Live CD that can be used by local chapters and OSGEO representatives when they man booths and stalls. They could fund or help each country chapter to create a kit that can be used to take to events to help OSGEO and its constituent projects. At the moment anyone wanting to represent OSGEO is left very much up to their own devices and even having all of these resources collated in the wiki would be useful so you can get them in one place.
>
> ​Good point! I agree that the whole issue and particularly the brochures could use quite some love. Unfortunately, without an active marketing team, that probably won't happen anytime soon.
> I'm also more and more uncertain how worthwhile it is to produce print brochures. After all, anyone can just check the project website as easily. In my experience, brochures are collected, never read, and finally thrown away most of the time.

Yeah they could easily have digital version of them on the website.

> Live CDs or USB sticks have been floating around at quite a few events now. I'm not sure if it makes financial sense to ship them around the world or if they should be created locally. That would certainly be worth a discussion on the OSGeo lists.
>
> Also the OSGEO web site looks and is really dated and same for the wiki….can’t they modernise it a bit (using a professional designer)? - it doesn’t look like the web site of a professional organisation. I would at least like to land on the front page as someone uninformed about OSGEO and see visually what this OSGEO thing is and see a gallery / slider / whatever of the outputs produced by their participating projects.
>
> ​The website is actually on the todo list. I think the activities are led by Ian Edwards. For details see https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/webcom/2016-February/002372.html <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/webcom/2016-February/002372.html>
Yeah good points you raise. I guess my point is that if we want to represent OSGEO at conferences and events I think it is hard to do it with an empty table - and the website doesn’t provide a good backup. So it would be really good to figure out how to present a consistent face to potential users at events. IMHO marketing should be their top projects - honestly most GIS professionals I come across have never heard of OSGEO and don’t understand its significance. If OSGEO wants to help projects like QGIS they need to start by being relevant and well understood. Their value proposition is a ‘trusted brand’ proposition - in that they collate the best of breed FOSSGIS into a cohesive collection and provide a once stop shop of quality assured projects. But that only works if people know and admire the OSGEO brand itself.

Anyway great to see them thinking about how to help member projects more…