[Qgis-psc] Fwd: No QGIS in stretch due to Qt4 WebKit removal

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jan 11 23:35:33 PST 2016

On 01/12/2016 07:37 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 11/01/2016 18:59, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
>> I'd really appreciate to see somebody invest into python3 and pyqt5 (in
>> parallel to python 2 and pyqt4).
>>
>> This way people attracted by bleeding edge distributions could try QGIS
>> 2.next with new technologies and pave the path towards a bright future
>> with QGIS 3. At the same time everybody else can continue to use
>> binaries linked against well-tested libraries until we are sure that we
>> are ready to make the move for other distributions as well.
> IMHO having the possibility to easily install the experimental version,
> alongside with the stable one, on all major OSs (and especially on
> Debian/Ubuntu, where most innovation-inclined people probaly reside)
> would greatly increase our tester base.
> Unfortunately, it does not seem a trivial task.
> All the best.

3.0 will not be a trivial task.
The work for this approach is exactly 87.39% work that will have to be
done for 3.0 anyway.

Or somebody can put 100k on the table and we'll have all our
most-skilled developers working on a quick release of 3.0 with all the
bells and whistles :)

Bests

--
Matthias Kuhn