[Qgis-psc] Moving the issue queue to github

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Wed Mar 16 13:12:35 PDT 2016

Hi Paolo

A couple of questions and thoughts:

1) Will integrations like travis work with GL?
2) Are you proposing to use their hosted service, or a self hosted copy of the community edition?
3) There are most likely many 3rd party services, tools etc. that now rely on the QGIS repo being at http://github.com/qgis/QGIS - we will break them if we move over to GL
4) The change from CVS to SVN and then from SVN to GIT each introduced a lot of churn. Although moving to a FOSS platform would be nice, its not a clear win for me as we will end up spending a long time dealing with all the side effects of migrating.
5) Personally I am not overly concerned with using GH as a platform - they have done a lot to foster the prolific spread of FOSS even if the platform itself is not free.

In summary if there was a massive demand for moving to GL I would be ok with it, but I don’t see that - and given all the other moving parts we are going to deal with in the run up to 3.0, one less change is for me better.