[Qgis-psc] Moving the issue queue to github

ElPaso elpaso at itopen.it
Thu Mar 31 02:37:44 PDT 2016

Il 29/03/2016 21:41, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> On 29 Mar 2016 9:08 PM, "Sandro Santilli" <strk at keybit.net
> <mailto:strk at keybit.net>> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 03:14:57PM +0100, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
> >
> > > What will change? What actions will need to be taken?
> > >
> > > * new issues/feature requests tickets will need to be opened in the
> > > new QGIS bug tracker on GitHub (URL HERE)
> >
> > It might be useful to point out that this means that those who
> > are willing to report bugs would also need agithub.com
> <http://github.com>
> > account (ie: the OSGeo userid would not be enough anymore).
>
> I personally see this as an argument in favour of moving to github
> issues. I think the current process of requiring users to register for
> an *osgeo site* account to file a bug on the *QGIS site* is confusing
> for many users. I suspect we lose a lot of reports just because this
> convoluted sign up/login process makes it too much work for many.
>
> But over at github registration is much more modern, streamlined and
> user friendly. And it's much easier to understand that you need a
> *github* account to post on *github*.
>
> Nyall

The historical reason for LDAP osgeo account was to have a SSO for all
our services, that were hosted on osgeo servers, if I remember
correctly, the same osgeo account granted access to the plugin website,
the main website, the wiki, the bug tracking system and before we moved
to github to SVN repository.

Just note that the plugins website will still require an osgeo account,
unless we find a way to authenticate users against github.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it