[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: [Qgis-developer] Any chance we could delay freeze until after the Girona hackfest?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri May 13 02:41:16 PDT 2016

Hi Tim,

On Fri, 13. May 2016 at 08:37:37 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> I think we should let Jürgen make the call since he has the best
> understanding of the impacts of delaying it.

Well, it's not a problem to run release.pl two weeks later. But:

I currently face a problem with a bigger project, where chances are high that I
can't do it in time for 2.16 (at least not feature complete; even not with the
extra week - not counting Girona).

That brought me to look at our discussion about the 3.0 - which's outcome you
summarized on http://blog.qgis.org/2016/02/10/qgis-3-0-plans/.

At the time I didn't anticipate that I would have this problem and therefore
wanted more to discourage continuing work on the master branch and not
emphasize the possibility of more 2.x releases, while everyone else works on
the qgis3 branch.

But new releases are planned
http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule
it's just not clear if those are 2.x or 3.x releases yet.

So I'll probably need to put my stuff into master and qgis3 after feature
freeze.  So the rule "if you can't make into this slot, use the next - which is
soon" still applies.  Although theoretically there still is a chance that won't
be a 2.18 release, because if we manage get qgis3 into shape very quickly the
slot will be taken by the first 3.x release.

But we want to concentrate on qgis3 after 2.16 - so it might be still worth to
make an exception here - so at least most people can move there full focus to
3.0 after 2.16 - because they could finish what they needed to have in a
release within the additional two weeks and don't need to worry about master
afterwards (until qgis3 is merged back).

But is that more important than keeping credibility?

Not sure - I'm fine with both.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode