[Qgis-psc] [Qgis-developer] Any chance we could delay freeze until after the Girona hackfest?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri May 13 05:54:58 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 13 May 2016, at 11:41, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, 13. May 2016 at 08:37:37 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> I think we should let Jürgen make the call since he has the best
>> understanding of the impacts of delaying it.
>
> Well, it's not a problem to run release.pl two weeks later. But:
>
> I currently face a problem with a bigger project, where chances are high that I
> can't do it in time for 2.16 (at least not feature complete; even not with the
> extra week - not counting Girona).
>
> That brought me to look at our discussion about the 3.0 - which's outcome you
> summarized on http://blog.qgis.org/2016/02/10/qgis-3-0-plans/.
>
> At the time I didn't anticipate that I would have this problem and therefore
> wanted more to discourage continuing work on the master branch and not
> emphasize the possibility of more 2.x releases, while everyone else works on
> the qgis3 branch.
>
> But new releases are planned
> http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule
> it's just not clear if those are 2.x or 3.x releases yet.
>
> So I'll probably need to put my stuff into master and qgis3 after feature
> freeze.  So the rule "if you can't make into this slot, use the next - which is
> soon" still applies.  Although theoretically there still is a chance that won't
> be a 2.18 release, because if we manage get qgis3 into shape very quickly the
> slot will be taken by the first 3.x release.
>
> But we want to concentrate on qgis3 after 2.16 - so it might be still worth to
> make an exception here - so at least most people can move there full focus to
> 3.0 after 2.16 - because they could finish what they needed to have in a
> release within the additional two weeks and don't need to worry about master
> afterwards (until qgis3 is merged back).
>

> But is that more important than keeping credibility?

So my feeling is that credibility comes from communicating clearly our plans and what is going on, not from having an unwavering approach with no flexibility. So as the Release Manager I would be quite OK with you sending out a message saying:

* QGIS 3.0 is scheduled for XXX and will be based on Qt5. The release may be subject to delays if we are not satisfied with the stability.
* QGIS 2.16 is scheduled for YYY and will be based on Qt5
* QGIS 2.18 will be scheduled for ZZZ if QGIS has not been released by XXX.

Or some variant of that. I wouldn’t even mind if both QGIS 3 and QGIS 2.18 are released at the same time given the somewhat unknown quantity that the QGIS 3 release is going to be others may appreciate that too. My mistake in those previous discussions was not letting you (as Release Manager) set the agenda, so thats something we can avoid this time around and not make this a committee decision :-P

Anyway thats my 2c.

> Not sure - I'm fine with both.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org