[Qgis-psc] spam in Redmine :-(

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Dec 1 04:04:44 PST 2017

Hi Ale

> On 01 Dec 2017, at 12:32, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> btw the biggest problem I see in submitting bugs from within QGIS is that the user would not be able to submit a bug like "QGIS does not start", or to submit a bug from a different machine where QGIS is not installed.

I think I was not clear. I am only proposing that the sign up process be done via QGIS. I think it is reasonable to assume that a spammer would not go through all of the trouble of downloading QGIS and installing it just to register in Redmine,

After the user is signed up, they can use their credentials to log in to redline in their browser and work normally.

So think of QGIS signup as a more accessible filter than mantras.

> Btw a custom user-agent can be easily set up in QgsNetworkAccessManager.
>

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com <mailto:tim at kartoza.com>> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your comments Nyall, Nathan and Matthias. It seems that the user agent is rather easy to do:
>
> https://wiki.qt.io/How_to_set_user_agent_in_Qt_application <https://wiki.qt.io/How_to_set_user_agent_in_Qt_application>
>
> So it should automatically add QGIS and the current version to the header. And for an apache rule we could use a regex like this on the redline signup page:
>
> https://serverfault.com/a/749446 <https://serverfault.com/a/749446>
>
> (Replacing SetEnvIfNoCase with SetEnvIfCase)
>
> I would propose that we try to build this quickly (sounds like a good use of QGIS funds??) and get it done as a feature freeze exception. Then we just need something on redline saying that you need to sign up from in QGIS.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> On 01 Dec 2017, at 11:37, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch <mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>> wrote:
>>

>>> ​OR have users submit bugs easily AND have no spam. In case it wasnt clear above, my proposal above advocates ditching mantras in favour of a 'normal' sign up process​ but the process has to happen through a QGIS browser agent. I reckon that is a pretty low friction approach.
>>>
>>> WRT Nathan;s comment about GitHub, while I am +1 about using  github as an option to sign in, my experience is that signing up for github is just as obscure for 'normal' users as a mantra, so if we are going to make users sign up for one more thing, hub.qgis.org <http://hub.qgis.org/> should be that thing.... In summary my preference is:
>>>
>>> * Make it convenient for *everyone* to file tickets
>>> * Kill the mantra - it is the most un-user friendly experience we could give people
>>> * Make the initial sign up happen through a browser embedded in QGIS to prevent spammers. Within that sign up:
>>>     * Support github authentication if we can to make it easy for geeks
>>>     * Support sign up through local user database in redmine still
>>
>> Thanks Tim,
>> I have the same preferences,
>>
>> Having a painless option to signup through QGIS itself and thus make it less spam-prone sounds great.
>>
>> We probably still need a "classic" signup way through webpages for the "I can't signup because my QGIS crashes on start scenario" and that would be solved by the github, other oAuth or osgeo login.
>>
>> Regards
>> Matthias
>  <qgis-icon-60x60.png>
>

> ---