[Qgis-psc] How many releases in 2018?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Dec 10 11:35:55 PST 2017

Hi Andreas

Thank you so much for preparing this. Here are a few comments from me:

Other suggested budget items:
Package maintenance - Windows
Package maintenance - Mac
Package maintenance - Linux / Debian / Ubuntu

Rationale: I think it would be good to pay something towards all the effort it takes Jürgen in particular puts into making the packages, and in future also support Larry to maintain ‘first class’ MacOS packages.

Expected income: Should there not be.a ‘balance brought forward’ with any projected remaining cash from 2017 shown as an income for 2018? If we did that there would surely be an extra n thousand available for our activities.

I 100% agree about the PR management that we could as one of the devs to take on as a part time ‘job’. I would like to also propose that because there is such a long backlog of items in the queue that we have a special sprint from that person (e.g. 1 week of funding) to triage the existing queue (as a separate activity to reviewing the regularly incoming PR’s).

Our SWAG budget underspend: Can I suggest we actually do use it - I think it is a wasted opportunity to market our project. Perhaps we could start by buying a bunch of t-shirts / caps etc and brining them along to Madeira and just handing them out to all attendees - a small reward for the effort they put into supporting the project? I can probably do it from here if nobody else is interested to help with it.

Glad to see you added in more cash for the Python API docs….and for docs in general.

I also want to suggest that with cash brought forward from 2017 if we have additional cash that we take the first steps to hiring a develop on a e.g. one day a week basis to do ‘work in the interests of the project’ - thinking for example of the welcome screen / user experience stuff we discussed in Nødebo and other high value effort which does not fit neatly into a grant and which contractor work would generally not attract. It would add EUR41,600 to our budget but I think we could ask the developer for a cheaper rate since it is long term guaranteed work. I think we could couple this with a funding drive and updating our sponsorship prices a bit e.g. move bronze up to EUR 800 or 100EUR.