[Qgis-psc] QGIS.ORG activity concept

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Dec 12 00:05:34 PST 2017

Hi,

Well if they do a thorough review of our organization, they will for
sure stumble over the fact, that there are commercial support companies
around QGIS. Better to be upfront with this matter and explain the
situation, in my opinion.

I also don't see this as a problem. There are numerous examples where
open source organizations received non-profit status, where they have a
similar setup like we (voluntary efforts in the non-profit part and paid
efforts handled through separate companies): LibreOffice, Apache,
Firefox, Inkscape, Gnome, KDE, etc.

In the letter I send to the tax authorities I will also point to these
projects that already received non-profit status and point to the
situation where the german QGIS user group is also officiall tax exempt.
They had to run through a similar process.

Greetings,

Andreas