[Qgis-psc] Analysis of donations/sponsorship 2016

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Feb 14 23:09:53 PST 2017

Hi,

Il 15/02/2017 09:02, Neumann, Andreas ha scritto:

> I did not have any data on downloads per country. Is such data available?

I think we should have download data at least for some OS; from the IP
we should be able to get the country.

> About USA: compared to Europe, this country is very much dominated by
> one single vendor. I don't need to mention which one. Many governmental
> organizations have site licenses and aren't allowed to use any other GIS
> software besides it. In addition, if you are consulting business and
> work as a contractor for the government, you typically have to deliver
> projects and data formats of this single vendor. So no choice either.
> With such background, it seems expectable that we do not receive
> sponsorships from the US. I am, however, surprised how many private
> donations we receive from the US.
>
> This fact is also undermined by the search volume that QGIS and ArcGIS
> trigger on Google trends -
> see https://www.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=QGIS,ArcGIS - compare
> that to the woldwide search volume or especially some European countries
> and the situation looks a lot different.
>
> Do you have another explanation for the fact that we don't receive
> sponsorships from the US?

I do not know the US market well enough, that's why I was asking here.
Perhaps we can ask some of our US fellows.
And, BTW, we could also worldwide ask for suggestions on how to improve
our sponsorship and donation rates - there may be fiscal and cultural
constraints that make more difficult to contribute in some countries.
All the best, and thanks again. I think these are important, although
not very sexy, topics for QGIS future.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu