[Qgis-psc] Analysis of donations/sponsorship 2016

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Feb 15 03:35:00 PST 2017

Hi

Thanks Andreas for preparing this! I will try to complete the blog post on
friday, including your data.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net>
wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> I did not have any data on downloads per country. Is such data available?

​We can extract numbers from awstats but they should be taken with a
(large) pinch of salt since we do not know redistribution rates after the
download happens.​

​Regards

Tim​

> About USA: compared to Europe, this country is very much dominated by one
> single vendor. I don't need to mention which one. Many governmental
> organizations have site licenses and aren't allowed to use any other GIS
> software besides it. In addition, if you are consulting business and work
> as a contractor for the government, you typically have to deliver projects
> and data formats of this single vendor. So no choice either. With such
> background, it seems expectable that we do not receive sponsorships from
> the US. I am, however, surprised how many private donations we receive from
> the US.
>
> This fact is also undermined by the search volume that QGIS and ArcGIS
> trigger on Google trends - see https://www.google.com/
> trends/explore?geo=US&q=QGIS,ArcGIS - compare that to the woldwide search
> volume or especially some European countries and the situation looks a lot
> different.
>
> Do you have another explanation for the fact that we don't receive
> sponsorships from the US?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2017-02-15 06:14, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>
> Il 14/02/2017 11:30, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
>
> Hi,
>
> Please find a little analysis of the sponsorships and donations in 2016.
> Spatial and temporal distributions.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wfn1cL9Ix5hCrVLF5WTZ8ZAJNY_
> PPYxIMgne4P-6jLM/edit#
>

> Hi Andreas,
> very interesting, thanks. Some thoughts:
> * it would also be interesting to normalize these data with number of
> downloads
> * USA seem a special case: lots of donations, no sponsors; it will be
> good to understand why, and how to make sponsoring more attractive there.
> All the best, and thanks again.

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
* GIS Training