[Qgis-psc] QGIS Soft Feature Freeze Voting (was Re: QGIS 3 release expectations)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Nov 26 15:04:46 PST 2017

Hi Tim, et. al.,

Hmm. Well this is unfortunate timing for two API changes concerning the
authentication system. There appears to be no advance notice that a vote
had been scheduled (maybe I missed it). It seems the voting ballot measure
was created, then voting initiated immediately after, with no prior
concrete decision upon what contents the measure should include.

The two auth system API changes (one started but unfinished, the other not
yet drafted) were stalled due to recent resource changes at Boundless. The
work completion was to be decided upon tomorrow (Monday, Nov. 27th):

* Further fix threading support with a refactoring (started by Alessandro
Pasotti):
https://github.com/boundlessgeo/QGIS/commits/bd-2648-auth-thread-safety-refactoring
* Significantly reducing the auth system PyQGIS API to increase security
(see "PyQGIS API" section in https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues/73)

I've been on vacation for the past week, but should be able to work on
these in the coming week. Any chance of having these be exempt from the
soft freeze as well?

Regards,

Larry Shaffer