[Qgis-psc] spam in Redmine :-(

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Nov 30 06:12:56 PST 2017

On 11/30/2017 02:29 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 10:38:26AM +0100, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> On 11/30/2017 09:59 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>>> But if somebody has a better idea: please *strikethrough*let us
>>> know*/strikethrough*  *do* it :-)
>>
>> Switch to github for issue management? Apparently they manage to have a
>> spamfree setup without a mantra.
>
> This is actually not true, we did have github users spamming Gitea
> repository. Only difference is they have payed staff to help with
> blocking them and cleaning their mess up (can take a day or two).

I assume you have a trusted source for this information :-)

>> IIRC the decision to stick to redmine
>> was taken in Bonn at a time when the mantra was disabled and this was
>> one of the reasons on which the decision was based.
>
> Doesn't Redmine have a "github login" plugin anyway ?

Possibly, but I don't think that would make a big difference. The user
I'm worried about (the typical non-developer desktop GIS user) doesn't
have a github account and sending him to different platforms to report a
bug doesn't really get us additional trust credits. (And, as you said,
the name collision issue would be the same)

I really don't want to start an endless discussion here again (which I
realize I am risking already).

Main points:

 1. I don't consider a mantra to be user friendly. So I'm strongly
    putting my personal -1 for this as a first point of contact to
    report a bug as a casual QGIS user.

 2. I would appreciate an integrated platform for development and
    reporting. The preference for github is only driven by the code
    already being there, workflows established and the gh crew doing a
    good job in general. Would be the same with any other open/closed
    /whatever platform.

 3. Point 1. is more important than point 2.

Bests
Matthias