[Qgis-psc] spam in Redmine :-(

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Nov 30 20:49:20 PST 2017

Hi

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:38 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 December 2017 at 06:30, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have a daft idea (might not work well for really critical issues where
> QGIS itself won’t run). Why not make the sign up process something you have
> to do from within QGIS. That way we know that the sign up ‘hoop’  is at
> least accessible to every one of our users. Once they are signed up they
> can use any browser to do the next bit. It could be done by perhaps
> checking for our own custom user agent or something. I don’t know enough
> ruby to usefully be able to actually implement that - though maybe it could
> be handled by some apache configs that check that if the url is the sign up
> page they user agent must be QGIS. Anyway just tossing an idea in the air
> here….
> >

> Happy to see this being discussed again. If it's a point of contention
> or stress we need to get it sorted.
>
> My 2c:
>
> I don't think we'll be able to resolve this discussion until we decide
> on priorities:
>
> Is it more important to have more users submit bugs and deal with
> spam, OR have less bugs and no spam?

​OR have users submit bugs easily AND have no spam. In case it wasnt clear
above, my proposal above advocates ditching mantras in favour of a 'normal'
sign up process​ but the process has to happen through a QGIS browser
agent. I reckon that is a pretty low friction approach.

WRT Nathan;s comment about GitHub, while I am +1 about using  github as an
option to sign in, my experience is that signing up for github is just as
obscure for 'normal' users as a mantra, so if we are going to make users
sign up for one more thing, hub.qgis.org should be that thing.... In
summary my preference is:

* Make it convenient for *everyone* to file tickets
* Kill the mantra - it is the most un-user friendly experience we could
give people
* Make the initial sign up happen through a browser embedded in QGIS to
prevent spammers. Within that sign up:
    * Support github authentication if we can to make it easy for geeks
    * Support sign up through local user database in redmine still

​Regards

Tim​

> I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that the mantra doesn't
> cause too much work for some users, and we WILL get less bug reports
> if it's resurrected. We need to decide on our priority before we can
> have a sensible debate about the best approach.
>

> Nyall

​

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development