[Qgis-psc] On finances

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Dec 3 07:24:07 PST 2018

Hi all,

On 12/3/18 2:12 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>

>> On 03 Dec 2018, at 10:14, Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org
>> <mailto:andreas at qgis.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear PSC and other interested community members,
>>
>> I updated our financial situation. Please see the summary at
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WphBgUOx0abTJ_33jRVqFTkRU7KYrg8GyBLFdkYC2hw/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I don’t think there is any choice other than to dive into the
> bottomless pit to invest in getting those bugs fixed. The only way out
> I can see is to a) get stricter about accepting code that lacks tests
> and b) invest an equal amount in unit test development that we can
> catch bugs before they enter the code base….

I believe that the first option is the most reasonable.

> +1 from me - although we still have issues, the improvements to the
> quality of QGIS over the last few years are really noticeable...

+1

>> Personally I wonder if we shouldn't have a break in features for a
>> period of one release where all of use would focus on stabilizing
>> QGIS and improving the quality - both of QGIS itself and also in the
>> documentation. Have one release windows (4 months) where we do not
>> accept any major new features, but concentrate on fixing issues.
>
> +1 on this idea from me…..

It sounds reasonable. I think we should get acceptance from most active
developers before proceeding, as this would impact on paid work for new
features. Also, it overlaps with our concept of LTR.

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: