[Qgis-psc] On finances

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 15:24:18 PST 2018

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 18:14, Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:

> Personally I wonder if we shouldn't have a break in features for a period of one release where all of use would focus on stabilizing QGIS and improving the quality - both of QGIS itself and also in the documentation. Have one release windows (4 months) where we do not accept any major new features, but concentrate on fixing issues.

In practice I can't really see how this would be any different from
the LTR, which already sees a steady flow of fixes and no features.
Having a "bug fix only" release won't directly result in more incoming
fixes or funding for people to work solely on fixes, rather it would
be the same rate of fixes that we see coming into the LTR release
already [1]. Instead it's likely to just result in developers working
on queued features which will all land the day when that release
"thaws", probably resulting in MORE issues then if these features had
been introduced in one at a time.

(That's without even touching the difficulty in changing the published
release schedule now, where devs and customers have already planned
timelines and feature implementation based on the current schedule!)

Nyall

[1] Possibly less, because a lot of existing issues are identified and
fixed during development of new features