[Qgis-psc] Continuous Deployment for OSGeo4W

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Tue Jul 3 04:30:47 PDT 2018

Hi,

On 15/06/2018 11:06, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the information Hugo !

I realize I did not answer. I am sorry for that :-/

>> On 12/06/2018 13:11, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>>
>> Indeed.
>> The build server is still shared internally with some other customer
>> projects. However I would be happy to give access to a few people with
>> enough motivation to test and enhance what we already have.
> That sounds interesting indeed. So you are the point of contact for this?
Yes I am :)

> That sounds good, also I can't really see an issue with sharing things
> with PostGIS folks. In contrary, that will avoid situations as seen in
> the past on Ubuntu with ubuntugis repository where installing qgis and
> postgis on the same platform was sometimes hard because they depended on
> different gdal libs.
> Is there any mid-term plan to integrate this with the main OSGeo4W
> repository? And to move those servers under the osgeo or qgis umbrella?

You're right.
There is no strict mid-term plan. We are on a best effort path here, and
PostgreSQL/PostGIS are good candidates for integration with the main
OSGeo4W repo, as soon as we get the compilation issues fixed :-)
https://gitlab.com/Oslandia/osgeo4w/issues/12
https://gitlab.com/Oslandia/osgeo4w/issues/16

>> Good point. However I think the license costs would be negligible
>> compared to the hosting / maintenance cost.
>
> That is more than likely, yes.
> I'd count the hosting costs on the same budget than the license costs.
> For the maintenance costs it's a question if it should be volunteer, if
> one company should be contracted to do that and/or if maintenance is
> also something that can be put in the community hands (e.g. travis right
> now is 99% maintained through scripts in the repo).

On our side, one reason we want to spend some effort on this approach is
that the current situation relies on too few people and who are not
directly paid for that.
My personal feelings are that it should be handled by the community in
the long-term with a sustainable way of funding the people involved in.