[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Kurt Menke kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com
Mon Oct 8 10:40:26 PDT 2018

Hello all,

Below is a description I wrote up based on what Paolo had previously
provided. Comments/edits welcome as I am offering this up as a draft we can
fine tune. This is the sort of description I hope to make available on the
application page for new organizations. With this they will know how to
prepare their application.

Given Régis's comments perhaps there should be some latitude for submission
of training materials for organizations who have solid contributions to the
project. In the end the fact that the PSC makes the final determination is
the key.

*****************************

The QGIS Certificate Program is designed to promote both community
involvement in the QGIS project and quality education for QGIS software. As
such the application process requires applicants to both detail their
contributions to the QGIS project and make their training materials
available for review. Contributions to the QGIS project include activities
such as:

- Development/commits to QGIS

- Contributions to the QGIS documentation and training materials

- Translation of QGIS materials

- Authoring plugins

- Filing bug reports

- Financially supporting new feature development

- Financial contributions to and sponsorship of QGIS

- Involvement in your local QGIS User Group

- Publication of open QGIS course ware

- Authoring QGIS books

You are required to provide the training material for each of your courses.
This includes exercises, lectures and data. This material will be reviewed
for currentness, accurate representation of the QGIS project and overall
quality.

If the material is not of adequate quality, this can be cause for refusal.

Following an initial review, the application will be sent to local QGIS
groups for their opinion. This portion of the review should take place in
less than one month. If there is not a local QGIS user group the QGIS
Project Steering Committee (PSC) will make a determination based on
material provided and your reputation in the community. In this latter case
you are encouraged to establish a local QGIS User Group. If you are not
deemed to be a member of the QGIS community in good standing this can be
cause for refusal.

The PSC will make the final determination. If accepted as a QGIS Certified
Organization your contributions to the project will be published for
transparency.

If approved you are required to make a €20 donation to the QGIS project for
each certificate. This creates a mechanism for financial support of the
project.

Cheers,

Kurt Menke