[Qgis-psc] again about the bug tracker

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Oct 10 10:24:45 PDT 2018

Hi Denis, all,

On 10/10/2018 15:32, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> The last issue about Redmine not sending mail makes me write again about
> the topic.
>
> I'd like to propose to change direction from the decision which has been
> taken in Madeira about moving to Gitlab.

No decision has been taken in Madeira. I remember personally explaining
that taking a migration decision should be backed by a full
demonstration of capabilities, by clear explanations on advantages,
drawbacks and implications.
We should not do this kind of architecture change lightly.

I have written all preliminary study results here :
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/QGIS-Platform-migration-plan

> I'ts been roughly half a year and nothing moved except for a declined
> grant proposal.

Yes, for this kind of action, we need time, we need funding. I applied
for a grant, and it has been rejected. I would be glad to resume the
work on this subject, but it needs interest and funding, or it will not
move forward.

> I have heard something from Steven Feldman at the FOSS4G which rang a
> bell. I don't recall the exact formulation nor my phrasing is as precise
> but he advised to be pragmatic and to avoid losing too much energy on
> ethical or not-strictly-related-to-the-topic issues...and to me, we're
> looking at something (Gitlab) which represents weeks of development just
> for the CI and which barely bring anything valuable over Github while we
> stick to a non satisfying solution (Redmine).

Please Denis, at least read the mail archives and the work already
achieved before posting this kind of false statement :
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/QGIS-Platform-migration-plan

It is true that CI has to be tested, but keeping a read-only GH copy
should be enough to get Travis working, and give time for full migration
to GitLab.

On the Github side, nothing has been done to prove that a migration is
even doable without problem.

> I would not deny that ethical is important...but what/who are working for?

This is your appreciation of things, and it may largely differ from
person to person. Trying to push this opinion directly to PSC although
we have already discussed these topic more broadly does not seem the
right thing to do.

Anyway, if we want to go forward with this topic, then the initial
proposal of the grant application is still valid. I am confident that
with budget we can finish up the migration study and reach a state where
we proved that it is a good way to go.

Any concrete help is welcome too on this subject.

One other open question also is the cost of hosting and maintaining the
solution, but this is more or less the same as for Redmine.

Best regards,

Vincent