[Qgis-psc] Release post

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Mon Oct 29 02:41:21 PDT 2018

Hi,

I think that we should officially state somewhere (most likely people look
at
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule
for the release dates) - that we need approximately one week to get all
packages for the major platforms ready.

This would be in line with Tim's suggestion to give packagers with one week
a realistic chance to get packages ready.

Personally, I would also wait with the release announcement until MacOS
packages are ready.

Greetings,
Andreas

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 10:34, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
> wrote:

>> > +1 for this, and in parallel reach out to William to see what is
>> package ETA. From the chatter on the dev list from him, I would say that he
>> is busy prepping packages...
>>
>> Yep, I'm also +1 for doing the actual 'communication and website update'
>> after we have more OS's available. If we do part of it we cannot hold
>> the eager users to communicate about it too.
>>

> It would be good to have a volunteer taking responsibility for these
> release communications.
>
> For 3.4.0, the post has already been published on Sunday and I guess
> nobody is suggesting to take it down again to wait for Mac installers.
>
> The visual changelog also isn't ready yet. Ideally, major platform
> installers and visual changelog should all be synced, but as Richard said:
>

>> From another angle: hey, we are a 'distributed async project', such
>> things happen :-)
>>

> For this release, I suggest publishing a follow-up blog post for Mac
> installers and changelog.
>
> For the future, I'm more than happy for anyone who wants to volunteer for
> doing the release communications on whatever schedule we agree on.
>
> As soon as the published release data rolls up, there will always be a
> stream of user questions asking for infos and I'm not sure keeping the
> official channels quiet for a week will be such a great tactic either.
> Right now, links to the work-in-progress changelog float around everywhere
> without users necessarily realizing that it is a work in progress still.
>
> Regards,
> Anita

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)