[Qgis-psc] Release post

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Mon Oct 29 02:33:59 PDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 10/29/2018 07:40 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
> >> As a result, can't we just delay the release post for (let's say a
> >> maximum of 1 week) to give it time for packaging for this platform? At
> >> worst, we delay the post by a week. At best, we'll have builds
> >> available for at time of posting for more major platforms, and less
> >> "where are the packages for XXX operating system" complaints from
> >> users.
> > +1 for this, and in parallel reach out to William to see what is package
> ETA. From the chatter on the dev list from him, I would say that he is busy
> prepping packages...
>
> Yep, I'm also +1 for doing the actual 'communication and website update'
> after we have more OS's available. If we do part of it we cannot hold
> the eager users to communicate about it too.

It would be good to have a volunteer taking responsibility for these
release communications.

For 3.4.0, the post has already been published on Sunday and I guess nobody
is suggesting to take it down again to wait for Mac installers.

The visual changelog also isn't ready yet. Ideally, major platform
installers and visual changelog should all be synced, but as Richard said:

> From another angle: hey, we are a 'distributed async project', such
> things happen :-)

For this release, I suggest publishing a follow-up blog post for Mac
installers and changelog.

For the future, I'm more than happy for anyone who wants to volunteer for
doing the release communications on whatever schedule we agree on.

As soon as the published release data rolls up, there will always be a
stream of user questions asking for infos and I'm not sure keeping the
official channels quiet for a week will be such a great tactic either.
Right now, links to the work-in-progress changelog float around everywhere
without users necessarily realizing that it is a work in progress still.

Regards,
Anita