[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Sep 10 23:18:48 PDT 2018

On 09/11/2018 07:40 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> We elaborated a clear and open procedure for accepting certified
> entities, with the main aim of driving people to actively support the
> project:
>
> * in the application process the proponent should explain what are his
> contribution to QGIS project
>
> * following an initial review, the application will be sent to local
> QGIS groups for their opinon, which should take place in less than one
> monthly; where there is no user group, the responsibility will fall
> entirely on PSC shoulders
>
> * the training material for each course should be released with a free
> license, and a review will be done; if the material is not of adequate
> quality, this is a cause for refusal
>
> * then PSC will take a decision and publish the contributions as stated
> by the proponent, for transparency.

Nice, overall ok, but 'releasing training material, isn't that a bit
pretty ambitious?

Though I like the idea, providing all training material, isn't that
asking to provide the king-jewels? I'm not doing that much courses, but
IF I do creating material is THE work...

Only providing it to the local QGIS group, or to the 'accepting
authority' isn't enough? A heap of 'free material' is nice, but
encourages free riding from totally not related groups.

I would prefer to have a set of gpl/cc material to be used by the world
(and translated) in our own repo. Created by hopefully the certified
companies together?
Speaking about ambition :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde