[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Sep 11 07:15:44 PDT 2018

Hi,

Chiming in late here.

I am a bit with Richard here. Ideally we should ensure that something
useful is created for the community.

I have a bit the fear that companies will submit many Powerpoint slides
that are hardly useable to anyone and create a lot of redundancy and a
rottening pile of outdated content (sounds pessimistic, I know).

Ideally, companies could collaborate and work together on one
collaborative version (or one per language/country) that will get better
over time. This would be much more useful than hundreds/thousands of
powerpoint slides somewhere. If we can communicate to them that they
will benefit from contributing, maybe this would be a nice incentive?

I can also envisage some country specific content. As an example, data
models (Interlis) is important in Switzerland, but the rest of the world
doesn't know how great it is (yet) ;-) - also multilanguage projects may
be something specific to certain countries (Switzerland, Canada,
Belgium, maybe some more)

About the discussion of crown jewels (training material): i just
recently ran a two-day QGIS course in Switzerland. Participants said
that the most valuable part of the training was not the material itself
or the data, but the fact that they could take two days off from their
day job (not being bothered/side tracked by other stuff) and have two
skilled trainers available that they can ask and confront with their
specific questions they have. Note that the whole certification thing is
not so important in Switzerland - so we did not bother with it for our
course - maybe we will introduce it later, when things are properly
sorted out.

Andreas

On 2018-09-11 15:55, Anita Graser wrote:

> Thanks for summarizing the criteria!
>
> One question concerning the requirement that new applicants need to share their course materials: Is there any mechanism to ensure that the material is updated? Or is this a one-time requirement? Who would monitor it if it should be more than a one-time thing?
>
> I understand the arguments on both sides of this issue. For non-dev community members, training is one of the few remaining business models. Localization / translation of materials is a lot of work and it's only financially viable if one finds enough people to take the course. Community members that also provide development services may consider public training material as a form of marketing.
>
> Regards,
> Anita
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> quite right.
>
> thanks Kurt.
> Il 09/11/2018 03:25 PM, Kurt Menke ha scritto:
> Thanks Paolo for summarizing certifying criteria. I think those criteria should be outlined on the initial page where organizations apply for certification. Then they will know what will be expected and what they will need to provide.
>
> Best,
> Kurt

> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu [1]
> QGIS.ORG [2] Chair: