[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Sep 11 09:04:39 PDT 2018

Hi

> On 11 Sep 2018, at 16:15, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Chiming in late here.
>
> I am a bit with Richard here. Ideally we should ensure that something useful is created for the community.
>
> I have a bit the fear that companies will submit many Powerpoint slides that are hardly useable to anyone and create a lot of redundancy and a rottening pile of outdated content (sounds pessimistic, I know).
>
> Ideally, companies could collaborate and work together on one collaborative version (or one per language/country) that will get better over time. This would be much more useful than hundreds/thousands of powerpoint slides somewhere. If we can communicate to them that they will benefit from contributing, maybe this would be a nice incentive?
>
> I can also envisage some country specific content. As an example, data models (Interlis) is important in Switzerland, but the rest of the world doesn't know how great it is (yet) ;-) - also multilanguage projects may be something specific to certain countries (Switzerland, Canada, Belgium, maybe some more)
>
> About the discussion of crown jewels (training material): i just recently ran a two-day QGIS course in Switzerland. Participants said that the most valuable part of the training was not the material itself or the data, but the fact that they could take two days off from their day job (not being bothered/side tracked by other stuff) and have two skilled trainers available that they can ask and confront with their specific questions they have. Note that the whole certification thing is not so important in Switzerland - so we did not bother with it for our course - maybe we will introduce it later, when things are properly sorted out.

Yes I was saying the same thing in my reply (which seemed to get lost - do we have two threads about the same thing going here?) - repeated again for your reading pleasure:

> Well speaking as someone who has put ALL our training materials online with a free license [1][2][3], I don’t see what the downside is. And the process is much like sharing the source code of QGIS - that is our Crown Jewel and we share it with everyone, why should we treat training materials any differently? IMHO we should have a similar attitude in sharing the knowledge that is needed to use QGIS otherwise what is the point of making something that people can’t understand how to use? In my experience people go on training courses a) to have a blocked off, dedicated chunk of time to delve into a topic and b) to have access to a guide who understands the topic well and can lead them quickly from zero to hero.

> Richard: I share your dream that we can get certifying organisations to build and maintain a share curriculum that we can one day call ‘official’ curriculum for QGIS certification - the lessons platform we built already takes the first steps towards that [3]. Its just a first attempt but hopefully takes us in the right direction….

[1] http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/training_manual/ <http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/training_manual/>
[2] http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction <http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction>
[3] http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/section/list/ <http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/section/list/>

—