[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 03:10:00 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Here’s the take of the Portuguese User Group on this matter. (Disclaimer,
we support Nyall and Richard's opinion).

We have been talking (for the last year or more) about what we should
consider to be an active contributing company. The outcome of the
discussion is something like this:

- Does the company is at least bronze sponsor, or the amount spent in
donations and public crowdfundings sums 500€?

- Does the company actively contributed with code to QGIS Core (how many
commits?)

- Does the company actively contributed with useful plugins to QGIS
official Repo (how many new plugins?)

- Does the company actively worked on documentation (how many commits?)

Now, after your discussion we could also add:

- Does the company publicly provides their original (and updated) training
materials freely under a open license?

We left the translation work out intentionally, as currently there is no
way to measure a translator work.

In our opinion, a company only needs to achieve one of the above topics
ANNUALLY to be considered a QGIS friendly or QGIS supporter company. This
should be reviewed every year, to make sure the company keeps helping the
project year after year.

For us, a company has always the option to support the project financially,
in case they can’t or don’t want to contribute with work (time).

We still have some doubts about the metrics for each topic. We have also
concerns about companie's scale: how a small one man show company is
compared with one with tens of people (What if the company has more than X
employees then two topics should be required?).

Still, we are willing to set some numbers and see how it works.

For the Portuguese QGIS users,

Alexandre Neto

Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> escreveu no dia terça, 11/09/2018 às
17:17:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, 11. Sep 2018 at 18:04:39 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > which seemed to get lost
>
> No, it[0] didn't get lost.
>

> Jürgen
>
> [0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-September/006527.html
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
> http://www.norbit.de

Alexandre Neto
@AlexNetoGeo
http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com