[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
Wed Sep 12 05:51:43 PDT 2018

HI Alexandre,

this is close to what we proposed in march - see [0] - with a first
attempt of a template for reporting possible contributions.

I tend to agree that releasing material will not always help for all the
reasons mentionned previously. To me, just showing contribution prooves
each year should be enough.

However, I am not a huge fan of numbers. Some contributions are
enormous, but finally fall in a few commits. Some others are not
measurable, like getting involved in discussions, funding feature in the
long run, building and managing user groups. I think a general template
is enough to get an idea if a contributor is faking or not.

Best regards,

Régis

[0]
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Certification-and-contributions-tp5356357p5356365.html

On 12/09/2018 12:10, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Here’s the take of the Portuguese User Group on this matter.
> (Disclaimer, we support Nyall and Richard's opinion).
>

> We have been talking (for the last year or more) about what we should
> consider to be an active contributing company. The outcome of the
> discussion is something like this:
>

> - Does the company is at least bronze sponsor, or the amount spent in
> donations and public crowdfundings sums 500€?
>
> - Does the company actively contributed with code to QGIS Core (how
> many commits?)
>
> - Does the company actively contributed with useful plugins to QGIS
> official Repo (how many new plugins?)
>
> - Does the company actively worked on documentation (how many commits?)
>

> Now, after your discussion we could also add:
>
> - Does the company publicly provides their original (and updated)
> training materials freely under a open license?
>

> We left the translation work out intentionally, as currently there is
> no way to measure a translator work.
>

> In our opinion, a company only needs to achieve one of the above
> topics ANNUALLY to be considered a QGIS friendly or QGIS supporter
> company. This should be reviewed every year, to make sure the company
> keeps helping the project year after year.
>

> For us, a company has always the option to support the project
> financially, in case they can’t or don’t want to contribute with work
> (time).
>

> We still have some doubts about the metrics for each topic. We have
> also concerns about companie's scale: how a small one man show company
> is compared with one with tens of people (What if the company has more
> than X employees then two topics should be required?).
>

> Still, we are willing to set some numbers and see how it works.
>

> For the Portuguese QGIS users,
>

> Alexandre Neto
>

> Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de <mailto:jef at norbit.de>> escreveu no
> dia terça, 11/09/2018 às 17:17:
>
>     Hi Tim,
>
>     On Tue, 11. Sep 2018 at 18:04:39 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>     > which seemed to get lost
>
>     No, it[0] didn't get lost.
>

>     Jürgen
>
>     [0]
>     https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-September/006527.html
>
>     --
>     Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
>     +49-4931-918175-31 <sip:0049493191817531>
>     Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
>     +49-4931-918175-50 <sip:0049493191817550>
>     Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
>      http://www.norbit.de

> Alexandre Neto

Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
tél: 0033 184 257 870 <sip:0033184257870>
http://oslandia.com/

OSLANDIA IS AN INNOVATIVE COMPANY SPECIALIZED IN GIS ARCHITECTURE. WE
PROVIDE SERVICE ON OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR WHICH WE ARE EDITORS OR
RECOGNIZED EXPERTS.