[Qgis-psc] Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 00:31:53 PST 2019

Hi,

In addition to funding, I think it will be ideal to have a closer
collaboration with other OSGeo applications that QGIS is heavily
reliant on: e.g. GRASS, SAGA (not sure if it is OSGeo member), gdal, proj
(Even is doing a great job to bridge the gap for gdal/proj). For example,
some of the current issues we are having with the current state of affairs
is due to a different timing of adoption of GRASS to the common
dependencies with QGIS (e.g. python, gdal, proj).

It would be great to have a discussion with other OSGeo applications (which
are used heavily in QGIS) to:
- Plan a better release road map
- Identify any help (financial, resources)

I suggest inviting representatives/lead developers/PSC members of those
application to QGIS PSC meetings every now and then to have an update.

Kind regards
Saber

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 07:59, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Il 24/11/19 21:58, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > The current situation seems a little broken at the moment: QGIS (and our
> > intrepid windows packaging guru) drives the process of maintaining
> > OSGEO4W. When we want to allocate funds to support this work we are
> > essentially doing it for all of OSGEO. That seems like an inverted
> > arrangement and I was wondering if we shouldn’t appeal to OSGEO to
> > create a fund / annual budget allowance to support this (either directly
> > or by providing funds to QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org> which can then pass
> > those on to packaging devs as appropriate). What do others think about
> > this? Paolo it would be great if you could approach them about it if
> > others agree.
>
> I totally agreed with you. I tried several times, years back, to talk to
> Osgeo about this, and I got no positive reply. Hopefully things have
> changed now, I'll try again.
>
> > I’m feeling very bad that at the moment we put a lot of pressure on a
> > few individuals, everybody is happy to complain about things and they
> > are really doing amazing work in trying circumstances. Funding their
> > work would allow them to spend larger tranches of time on it when needed
> > and af nothing else, at least make them feel acknowledged financially
> > for their blood, sweat and tears (hopefully not too many of the former
> > and latter)!
>
> I couldn't agree more.
> Let me do it and I'll report back to PSC.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair: