[Qgis-psc] Fwd: [qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals] Support SAP HANA databases in QGIS (#151)

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 4 01:32:37 PDT 2019

On mercredi 4 septembre 2019 17:32:46 CEST Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 17:20, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
> > Testing platform: Currently it is difficult for us to test the work you
> > have done since we do not have a test / sandbox instance of the provider
> > that we can use to try it out. Could we ask you to provide us with a
> > perpetually available Hana database instance that we can use to test your
> > provider both now and in the future? It would be ideal if you could set
> > up and maintain this instance for us and simply supply the connection
> > details since we do not have the time or expertise to manage this from
> > within the community. We also ask that you waive any licensing fees for
> > this test platform so that it is freely available to the project.
> Could you add here that it needs to be accessible via our CI
> infrastructure, and that they'll need to include unit tests
> implementing the provider conformance suite which run on our CI ?
>
> Without this I will strongly and vocally oppose this work, because
> it's effectively asking to be broken.

yeah, "any untested code is broken code"

But I think they'll have a hard time communicating a public connection string
to their database as this could be abused by anybody. I was going to suggest
we could probably keep it as a Travis-CI encrypted string, but encrypted
strings don't work with pull requests. And even if it did, any QGIS developer
requesting it should also have access to it when needed. Tests against a
shared instance should also be carefuly written so that if 2 persons by chance
run the test at the same time, there's no conflict on table names that are
created or whatever at runtime.

If they have a Docker image, lightweight enough and with all setup done (it's
fine if it has limitations on database size, etc if they don't want this to be
abused for production use), that could also be a reasonable solution for both
Travis & local testing. Except that wouldn't work for Mac or Windows devs...

Cheers,

Even

http://www.spatialys.com