[Qgis-psc] [qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals] Support SAP HANA databases in QGIS (#151)

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Sep 4 16:15:06 PDT 2019

Hi (replying to both Even and Nyall here)...

@Nyall we discussed this a bit in Bucharest. There are a few concerns - figuring out how to reasonably manage testing infrastructure as Even touches on below being one, the lack of any clear directive mandating tests (I think we should add something to our contributor guidelines), the lack of any precedent test suite (previously we only mandated libqgiscore tests) being another. Personally I wonder if we shouldn’t be thinking more broadly and have a generic test suite that works with all providers to validate general CRUD operations? Since we have a common API for providers this should be possible right?

> yeah, "any untested code is broken code"
>
> But I think they'll have a hard time communicating a public connection string
> to their database as this could be abused by anybody. I was going to suggest
> we could probably keep it as a Travis-CI encrypted string, but encrypted
> strings don't work with pull requests. And even if it did, any QGIS developer
> requesting it should also have access to it when needed. Tests against a
> shared instance should also be carefuly written so that if 2 persons by chance
> run the test at the same time, there's no conflict on table names that are
> created or whatever at runtime.
>
> If they have a Docker image, lightweight enough and with all setup done (it's
> fine if it has limitations on database size, etc if they don't want this to be
> abused for production use), that could also be a reasonable solution for both
> Travis & local testing. Except that wouldn't work for Mac or Windows devs…

@Even yeah it seems there is one here:

https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/hxe-ua-install-using-docker.html

Do I remember correctly from watching your GDAL summary at FOSS4G that there was also a HANA provider added in GDAL? How have you implemented tests in your situation?

If we are going to test in docker we can just spin up a HANA image in the local docker network where the tests execute and have hardcoded connection details in the test suite since it would not be publicly accessible and live only as long as the test run lives.

@nyall By the way there were quite a few people commenting on the test suite in QGIS that we should probably discuss at some point. We can pick up on that in a separate thread later.