[Qgis-psc] Environmental policy

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Fri Jan 24 02:15:21 PST 2020

Hi Matteo,

I agree with most of your comments, but have one reply for your comment on
trains running on nuclear power:

In countries, where you have synchronized time tables (most countries have
them meanwhile), where the trains always leave shortly after the hour and
half-hour, you need most energy when all the trains throughout Switzerland
leave their stations (only hydro and gaz power stations can meet those
short-term peak - nuclear plants can only generate bandwidth energy, no
peak energies). Once the trains are rolling, energy demand is a lot lower.
For such situations, nuclear with constant energy production is not very
useful. In Switzerland, the train system has an extensive network of
hydropower stations (Pumpspeicherkraftwerke) where they can open the gates
to exactly meet the peak energy demands according the train schedules every
day. For this reason, trains typically run on hydro or gaz power. Also,
when trains slow down or run down a slope, they contribute a significant
amount of energy back in to the train grid system, something most cars
(apart from hybrid/electric/plugin hybrid) still don't do, let alone planes

Greetings,
Andreas

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 09:03, matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> let me also share my thoughts here, veeeeery quickly.
>
> As an environmental scientist I pay a lot of attention to all my daily
> actions, but without being paranoiac.
>
> I trust that we are smart people and if we want to have an environmental
> policy, I'd like to have a kind of "these are our suggestions, please
> try to follow them". But not force people.
>
> If I have to travel 16 hours by train to travel to an HF for 2 days and
> traveling back other 16 hours (spending €€€) than it is very likely that
> we will loose people to come. I know that I can work on train, but
> sometimes I have to be in a certain place to work (e.g. training).
>
> By the other [provocation]: is really a train powered by nuclear power
> plants more environmental friendly than a flight?
>
> To conclude. I'm very happy when I'm able to attend an HF (and drink
> some beers with all of you), so we can think to lower to just one longer
> HF per year (ass already suggested).
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> See you soon ;)
>
> Matteo