[Qgis-psc] Environmental policy

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Jan 24 10:26:49 PST 2020

Hi Matteo and friends

For me this discussion is more about optics - as a project we are in a position to show leadership and raise awareness. We don’t need to force anyone to do anything and I think we all realise climate change (and even if you are a denialist, the principle of wise, sustainable resource use) needs urgent attention and we are in a position to set a good example. So if we can agree on the basics maybe we can come up with some practical, constructive ways to reduce our own footprint (as a project) and encourage others to reduce their environmental footprints.

Maybe like we are striving to OGC certification, we can also consider getting adherence to something like ISO 14000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_14000 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_14000>). Although I guess that doesn’t tick my ’simple’ box :-P

I wonder if we can’t also consider ‘low power’ QGIS mode where we consume the minimum amount of energy on the device QGIS is deployed on? Maybe a nice fat ’Save the environment’ (runs QGIS on 1 cpu) ‘Kill the environment’ (runs on all cpus + GPU) toggle switch in the status bar would be a cool addition in 2020?