[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 05:29:41 PST 2021

Hi Jürgen,

> > Well... if you are onboard with it then I formally propose to include
> > a 1 month testing period between the date of the creation of the
> > installers for any .0 release and the date of the release.
> > This would give time to test the artifacts and fix the outstanding issues.
>
> Hm, so the .0 installers would be released when .1 comes out?   That would be
> odd.
>
> Or are you suggesting to only do 2 months of development, 1 month of feature
> freeze/fixing and 1 month cool down/testing/fixing of blocking issues (if we're
> sticking to our four monthly schedule)?
>
> OTOH we could easily announce the packages for .0 as experimental, so that
> people know that they could have issues.  But that might mean that they wait
> for .1 and the issues would be just be found later.
>
> The issues that make a quick 3.18.1 necessary could have been spotted in the
> nightlies too, couldn't they?  But I guess people didn't try those and waited
> for the release instead.

Definitely I'm not suggesting to shorten the development period, so If
I understand you correctly I would agree with the second option: do
not officially announce a new release when .0 installers are ready and
make the announcement (and change the site links, etc.) only when a
well tested (and fixed) installer is ready (.1, .2 or whatever is
needed). Not sure how this would work with the Linux packages though.

cheers

-- G --