[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Mar 1 05:46:39 PST 2021

Hi

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Definitely I'm not suggesting to shorten the development period, so If
> I understand you correctly I would agree with the second option: do
> not officially announce a new release when .0 installers are ready and
> make the announcement (and change the site links, etc.) only when a
> well tested (and fixed) installer is ready (.1, .2 or whatever is
> needed). Not sure how this would work with the Linux packages though.

I may be wrong, but that actually sounds like a (disguised) release
candidate to me.

Just one with a different label. And one for which we don't have the
possibility to ask people to go testing it on kiwi because we don't push
out an announcement where we could mention that.

Wouldn't it be super nice to push out an announcement: "The next version of
QGIS is almost ready for you. We have done all the best we could to make it
the best GIS system out there. Here is a download link for you to verify it
suits your requirements. Go test it on your workflows or with the kiwi
platform. Test any new or existing functionality. And let us know any
issues you might encounter." Add some links to kiwi, issue tracker and
(WIP) changelog to that.

Nothing to lose, transparent communication and (I think) reasonable effort
to accomplish.

Matthias